Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Meet the Teacher - Steve Ramthun

Image may contain: 3 people, including Steve Ramthun and Laura Ramthun, people smiling, people sittingHello my name is Steve Ramthun. This is my 3rd year with the School District of Waukesha, and my 23rd year teaching. I currently teach physics and AP physics at Waukesha South HS. My life has been hectic to say the least for the past year. The past year has brought some huge changes to my personal life. Last year we sold our house in Waukesha because we were building a house. Our new house was not completed so we moved in with my sister and brother in-law for 2 months. We then moved in to our new house in the end of June. Finally, my wife Laura, a teacher at New Berlin Eisenhower HS, had a baby girl on August 22nd.


I embraced technology early on in my teaching journey, often before other teachers did. However, my use of technology was mainly as a tool to collect data in the physics classroom. The use was of data collection sensors and probes was limited to a few labs per unit and not an integral classroom tool on a day to day basis. I did notice that when I did use the data collection devices for labs, student engagement increased. As the years passed, I integrated computer simulations for student use. On the teacher side of technology, I was one of the first teachers to regularly use powerpoint presentations in the classroom, yes I am that old. Additionally, I have started to make my own videos for students to use as "answer" videos. Most of the mathematical problems I assign in physics are supplied with answer videos that students can access online by way of BB9. I originally used these videos as a time saving feature to free up class time from doing math problems on the board. Not all students need  help with the mathematics of physics so I found the videos I created as a nice solution to free up class time for other activities and still provide help with the students that needed it. Students find the videos very helpful.

As I start my journey to integrate technology into my daily teaching I will be guided by engagement. The technology must keep the students engaged in the lesson. If the technology does not increase engagement, I will reevaluate its use as a teaching tool. I live through the era in science teaching that pushed hands on learning. I started to realize that not all "hands on' activities were "minds on" activities.

So my journey begins to integrate technology into my daily lesson plans. The struggle will be to choose activities that not only engage the students, but engage them into meaningful learning that scaffolds into high levels of understanding. I will keep you posted on both my triumphs and downfalls on that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment