Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Meet the teacher - Jillian Miller

I have been teaching in the district for eight years at Whittier and Lowell Elementary, mostly specializing in Mathematics.  When the district first rolled out 1:1 devices, I had 5 iPads to share with my whole class.  I would often find myself using the iPads for students to make simple videos, take photos of learners at work, and practice math fluency facts on some shiny new flashy app I discovered on Pinterest.  Since then, I have learned from my colleagues at WaukOne conferences, as well as some Google Educator professional development and have completely changed how I view and use technology in my classroom.  My favorite way to use technology? Break down walls.

 I have a passion for using technology to break down the walls in my classroom for many reasons.  First, there are so many people and resources bigger than us out there that I want them to be aware of.  My students have Skyped professional authors and illustrators as well as students from other states that have shined so much light on the world they live in.  Second, breaking down classroom walls have set a mindset of inquiry with my students.  When we did a Google Expedition of the phases of the moon, students were able to see a realistic view of the moon which prompted deeper thinking and questioning. Finally, I find students are extremely engaged.  My students have gone on virtual field trips to the San Diego Zoo and a live African safari and months later, still talk about it.  Even students who have behavior challenges are completely engaged in learning with virtual field trips!

I am very grateful for this model tech classroom coaching opportunity so I can continue to grow as an educator and discover more effective ways to break down my classroom walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment