Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Untethering

Untethering!

A journey of cutting the cord!

I had a recent triumph! I am finally untethered! I have recently taken the last steps to release myself from the cords that connect the desktop computer and the Smartboard. That hidden nest of tangled cords can have a subtle impact on teaching and learning. For years, these cords connected the desktop to the Smartboard. Connected the Smartboard to me. Connected me to the front of the room.  
Cutting the cord was made possible by the introduction of the new Smartboard TV into the room and willingness to let go of the familiar.



We have a new Smartboard TV in our classroom! I love it. My learners love it. Visitors love it.  This new board has great features! The board has its own built in “computer” with a browser, a digital whiteboard, built in mirroring, a remote file sharing feature and others. This board has allowed me to conquer the cords and become more mobile! I let go of the desktop, released the document camera and liberated myself to  move away from the Smartboard.

TRIUMPH!

This triumph was not immediate-it took time. We used the board for an entire year while learning the ins and outs and working out some of the kinks. I slowly replaced old functions with new ones and found workarounds with trial & error. Full use and untethering did not happen overnight.

Little by Little

I used the built in mirroring share feature while keeping the Apple TV plugged in and functional while getting used to the new built in share function.

I used the board’s browser to access Google Drive and all digital files while keeping the old desktop plugged in and available to use if needed. The desktop at its last classroom duty-it was used to play our Youtube study music playlist. The new board was not able to run the music in the background while another page was displaying.

I would suggest that others with an Apple TV and any type of interactive board give a try to cutting the cords. Take a couple of steps at a time. Reflect on the little successes along the way. Celebrate the moment you are able to become more mobile when displaying or teaching using your Smartboard. The journey, even if as lengthy as mine, is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment